Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Better Late Than Never?

Eeek! So much happened yesterday (5/19/2015) that I didn't even have time to stop and write a blog post on what happened.

SO ~ Day #2 of class? Yup, I had no idea what was going on in class (luckily today was much better but that post will be separate). It became very obvious after a while that I had far less experience than everyone else in the class (oops)...but luckily I've made some amazing friends to help me get through the parts I don't quite understand yet! (For example: understanding what triggers the pluscuamperfecto vs preterito perfecto)

After class, my roommate and I walked to a supermarket before heading back to our house (we were trying to find contact solution) and I spent my first Euro in Spain. I bought shampoo and conditioner for about 5 Euros - not bad!! 

After we ate lunch (the most delicious chicken ~ but again, no pictures), we met back up with our Study Abroad group to visit a museum. I'm not quite sure of the name of the museum - I think it's "Yacimiento Arqueologico Fenicio" but I don't know (I'm going off of the information on the ticket). Essentially, Cadiz used to have Phoenicians and some archaeologists uncovered the ruins of anicent Cadiz from about 3000 years ago - and, to make a long story short, I got to walk on a walkway/platform over the ruins! 

I know it;s dark but this is part of what they discovered

Ancient cat bones!! 

After we were finished with that museum (which, by the way, was probably the coolest thing I've EVER done involving history), we had some spare time before our next activity so my friends and I went to grab coffee (my first cafe con leche!)

The cafe :) 

Mi cafe con leche :) (I don't usually like coffee but this stuff was AMAZING)

In case ya forgot what I looked like

No, it's not my picture but you get the idea!
After we finished our coffee, we were taken to Torre Tavira...where we proceeded to climb about 20 flights of stairs (okay, maybe it wasn't that much but it felt like A LOT). Before reaching the very top of this building, we stopped into a pitch black room with a giant bowl in the middle. Then, almost like a periscope, our tour guide projected an image of the outside using mirrors ~ we got a VERY detailed tour of the entire city (we even saw people in real time) in crystal clear just looking into this bowl - it. was. INCREDIBLE. Definitely would recommend to any geography buffs or just people who love clear images. **Note: the object in use is called a Camera Obscura)
Image result for torre tavira CAMERA OBSCURA
No, it's not my picture but you get the idea!



After the Camera Obscura tour of the city, we proceeded to walk up the stairs to see the city from the highest elevation point with our own eyes...


Yes, it was windy! 

Try completing a puzzle with these pieces!

Me and my roommate 


Like something straight outta a postcard 

Later that night, after we had come back to the house and eaten dinner (spaghetti), some friends and I decided to go out (and on a school night!) to get drinks. We stopped at a bar and we all got sangria (our first time trying sangria and my first time drinking). IT WAS DELICIOUS! :) What a great girls night out!

Sangria in Cadiz, Spain

My first time legally drinking!  
When in Spain!
Cheers, chicas!

Well, now I'm off to the beach! Hopefully I'll have today's update later tonight! 

No comments:

Post a Comment