Sunday, May 24, 2015

What I learned in Boating School is...

FRIDAY'S POST (because I'm behind - playing Sunday catch-up!):

As part of my study abroad program (Centro MundoLengua), we went on a ferry ride to El Puerto de Santa Maria (it's still Cadiz, but it's not in my usual peninsula that I've come to call home) for educational and tourist purposes. Although the ferry was just supposed to be a means of transportation, it was really fun to be up on the top deck (aside from the CRAZY wind) and to just watch the waters and crystal blue skies. 

We were all going a little picture crazy

But the little peninsula we've come to call home is just TOO cute to ignore

The ferry :) 


Me ft. someone who's clearly unimpressed by the ferry 

But even he couldn't resist looking at the spectacular view 

Clear skies for days 

CNU students felt strangely at home ;) 

THE WIND. You'd think that I was wearing my hair up in this picture? False. The wind was THAT fierce. 



El Puerto de Santa Maria is most famously known for being the port that Christopher Columbus left from on his 2nd voyage to The Americas. Other than that, there didn't really seem to be much to the town (although I'm sure it's residents would argue against that). However, much like every other part of Spain, some of the views were just absolutely beautiful. 

Always in love with the purple trees 


Note to Self: When you become a parent ~ be that cool parent that gets your child a toy moped. 

Our lovely CML tourguide! 

Statue of Alfonso X of Castile (conquered the city from the Moors and named it Puerto de Santa Maria)


Of course, I had to take a picture of this!

Tribute to Juan de la Cosa ~ famous cartographer and navigator: drew the first map of the new world in 1500, Captain of the Santa Maria
After we talked briefly about the history of El Puerto de Santa Maria (in spanish, of course), we then took a tour of Castillo de San Marcos. Castillo de San Marcos is a medieval castle that was built as a church by King Alfonso X of Castile on top of the remains of an old Mosque. It was VERY cool! 

Like somethin' straight outta Busch Gardens Euro ;)

But compared to the rest of Spain, it'd amost be easy to walk right past this building without a knowledge of it's history

Shameless selfie for kicks and gigs

The detail on everything never ceases to amazing me

Spaniards must love their gates ~ you'll find them guarding almost everything of historical importance

I was used as the guinea pig but apparently when you talk into this wall it echos so everyone else can hear? 

The detail everywhere! I swear it'd take me like 20 years just to make one of these walls - let alone hundreds of them. 

Of course it was gorgeous weather outside (as usual)





More shameless selfies! :) 


Mostly out of amazement that I don't have an afro after the windy ferry ride 
At the end of the tour, we got to do a wine tasting inside the castle! :) As someone who's not even 21 yet and for someone who's never really tried wine (other than "Tinto de Verano" and Sangria) - I can definitely say that doing a wine tasting in a castle was THE way to go.

Barrels upon barrels upon barrels

Do a barrel roll!

Although the history behind these barrels is MUCH younger, it's still pretty cool that just plain ol' people got to sign these barrels when they were made and then they would be turned into actual bottles of wine someday 

4 types of wine: dry, semi-dry, sweet, REALLY OBNOXIOUSLY SWEET HOLY COW DID I JUST DRINK PURE RAISIN JUICE?


The dry one ended up being my favorite (surprisingly)



It was during this wine tasting that I realized I hadn't had any sweets during my trip so far...eating potato chips and pound cake with chocolate made me realize JUST how much I missed these sorts of foods.... naturally, we all stood around the chip bowl eating them like they would be the last meal of our lives 

Modernized part of the castle 

Went back to take a photo in front of one of the gates! 

Back to regular Cadiz! 

After we got back, some friends from the program and I went to get Tapas (small plates) for lunch instead of going back to our host family. Then we met up later and got helado (icecream) - probably the best icecream I've ever had why didn't I think to take a photo! Oh well, I guess I'll have to go back. :)

It was so refreshing to see kids being kids - AND PLAYING MAGIC: THE GATHERING, TOO #priceless

Passed this on the way back home





Wow, okay now I only have to make my post for Sevilla (which might take forever and a day) and then I'll be caught up! :) Now go to do the homework I've been neglecting all weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment